Ruby AEB Vanderzee

Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Where the crazy bird sings..

There's a little garden here where a crazy bird sings. I like to walk, pace really and watch the sun set over the little smelly bog and listen to a loud 'Om' sound around 630 that sweeps over the area, calling people to evening prayer.
I wonder if what people say about India is true. What is becoming clear to me about my life...I like what I'm doing. I believe in it. If I step back and look at it it sounds and seems crazy and too big to actually ever happen, so I guess I'll just keep my head down.

I'm home alone right now. Rowan and Leah went to Hypercity, the giant Western supermarket. We're all sick of the food. I can't take the spice and ate thin white bread with butter, a banana and an orange with super spicey dhal and wierd macaroni noodles with green peppers that were so potent when Ganesh cooked them that everyone in the house was coughing. I went outside, where it wasnt' much better. They spray this horrendous mosquito smoke spray every night at 730.

Yesterday Josh sent me an NPR blog on the No pants day in the subway in 9 cities. I showed it to Shamim and Ganesh, the house help. Talk about lost in translation. I was laughing so hard. We're talking about people who avert their eyes if I have a tank top on.

I'm mentally exhausted from just the constant work we've been doing. Tired of thinking, strategizing, holding the vision, pushing it forward bit by bit, day by day. Trying to unwind, I listened to music for a while. I have a good book by Rohinton Mistry which I read for awhile. But, I don't want to do anything text based after these long days. After a good amount of ceiling staring, watching the clock tick and the ceiling fan spin, I decided, I wish I knew how to knit. Knitting would be good. Something more bodybased. Leah has a yoga DVD. Maybe we'll do that one of these nights or mornings.

I go in and out of hitting a wall of terror about what I am getting myself into here with the whole budget and 2 year plan. I miss my family and want to rent that little house I love for the summer and have sleep overs with all my nephews and neices. My eyes keep tearing up when I think of my family, of those gorgeous little souls, sparkling Daphne and Mindi, so magic and pure, discovering everything. My precious gentle Dada sitting watching birds at the feeder through white fields of Wisconsin winter.

1 Comments:

Blogger Abbie said...

Ruby... Ruby... Your writing always captivates me. As I read that short little note I can picture you in your house, in the garden, staring at the ceiling, and can commiserate with the feeling of homesickness while dedicating time and tremendous energy to something you've been dreaming about. I love you and miss you. I'll be in NYC in July!!! I've committed! Can't wait to get you up to date with my art happenings!

8:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home